Our mission statement...
Dogs for the Deaf, Inc.'s mission is to rescue and professionally train dogs to help people and enhance lives, maintaining a lifelong commitment to all dogs we rescue and all people we serve.
At Dogs for the Deaf, we...
- Rescue homeless dogs from shelters
- Supply needed medical care and spaying/neutering
- Train 5-6 months of obedience and specialized training needed for the program each dog is in (visit the Our Dogs pages of this website for more information about our different programs)
- Screen each applicant to determine the person's needs, abilities, personality, lifestyle, and ability to care for the dog (see Our Dogs - Application Process page)
- Match each dog to the applicant's lifestyle
- Place professionally trained dogs to assist individuals with various disabilities
- Take the dog to the client's home and train the client to maintain the dog's skills
- Provide lifetime follow-up help and guidance to make sure the team is achieving maximum benefit from each other
- Help the client with the retirement or passing of the dog and getting a successor dog
- Maintain a lifetime commitment - all dogs are placed in loving homes
All of this is done for a minimal $50.00 application fee and a $500.00 refundable Good Faith deposit.
Dogs for the Deaf invests approximately $25,000 in each dog, this includes:
- Finding and evaluating dogs
- Providing all dogs any medical treatment deemed necessary
- Training, socializing, and further evaluating each dog
- Placing the dog with the client and working with the team
- Ongoing follow-up support for the life of the team
Dogs for the Deaf is totally funded by donations from individuals, service clubs, groups, bequests, estates, and businesses. Dogs for the Deaf receives no government funding and has a 501(c)(3) rating with the IRS.